Taman Simalem Resort is located on the hills of north-western part of Lake Toba, one of the highest and deepest crater lakes in the world. It is located 45 minutes away from the resort town of Berastagi and can also be reached in 2.5 hours by road from Medan, the provincial capital of North Sumatera.
Acquired in 2002, the 206-hectare property will be developed in staged as a major agro-tourism attraction in the region, with more than 25 hectares of low chemical grown Oranges, Loquat, Passion Fruit, Tamarillo, Guava, Tea, Coffee and Avocado.
In 2007, visitors to the resort can enjoy :
- Kodon-kodon Cafe (tasty treats in gazebos overlooking Lake Toba)
- Jungle Trekking (explore the areas flora and fauna enroute to breath-taking waterfalls)
- Low Chemical Garden (educational tours of orange groves and passionfruit vineyards)
In 2008, visitors will be able to enjoy :
- Toba Cafe (fast-food outlet with great view of golf course)
- Pearl of Lake Toba Plaza (best view of Lake Toba for photo-shoot)
- Management Office
- Tongging Cafe (snacks on the site of Tongging Lodge & Convention)
In 2009, visitors will be able to enjoy :
- Karo Agrotourism Farm (center for research and cultivation of fruits and vegetables)
- Agro Tourism (explore the Fruits area such as : Passion Fruits Farm, Orange Farms, Loquat, Vegetabels area such as : Lettuce, Pak Choy, Pue leng, Broccoli, Raddish, Carrots, Tomatoes, and many more..)
- Labyrinth (A labyrinth is an ancient symbol that relates to wholeness. It combines the imagery of the circle and the spiral into a meandering but purposeful path. The Labyrinth represents a journey to our own center and back again out into the world. Labyrinths have long been used as meditation and prayer tools.)
- Tongging Lodge & Convention and Spa (200-room hotel and dormitory)
In the next two years, visitors will be able to enjoy :
- Pangambatan Zoopark (animal park, jungle trekking and camping facilities)
- Merek Funland (children in- and outdoor playground)
- Owners’ Guesthouse (20-room exclusive accommodation)
- 9-hole Gorat Ni Padang Golf Course (set in the midst of tea and coffee plantation)
- Buddhist Temple (ancient Buddhist Temple architecture)
The development of Taman Simalem Resort will be capped with the development of members-only One tree Hil Villa Resort and cable-car link to hore of Lake Toba in 2012.
Taman Simalem Resort is developed by PT MerekIndah Lestari, an associated company of Hotel Sibayak International Berastagi, North Sumatera’s first 4-star resort, in partnership with Nexus Investment Pte Ltd, a Singapore investment company.